Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day 2 of LOVE Month: I love Pinterest

I recently polled colleagues about online communications that they liked/disliked--listservs, Facebook, Twitter, and Nings. What I discovered from the poll was that every venue had its fans and also its detractors. People complain that listservs clutter up their inboxes, that Facebook and Twitter are trivial, and Nings are just to busy with too much stuff. So far I have encountered NO ONE who dislikes Pinterest. As far as I can tell there are two kinds of people: those who like and use Pinterest and those who don't know about it. No detractors. Correct me if I am wrong. It is a great way to share sites on the topic designated for a particular board. The premise is that users "pin" sites they like, as one might post them to a board. There is also a social element where users follow one another and "like" their postings and possibly comment. It is masterfully designed and the more that is added, the more fun any board becomes. I maintain two boards that I add to almost daily:
The first one was started to help me cheer myself and others up during hard times with humorous sites. As time went by I added ANY site that just made me feel good. It feels good to add to it too. The second site grew out of my ongoing interest in digital visualization. I post infographics, diagrams, charts, and other cool digital visuals that resonate with me.

The only possible downside I have heard about Pinterest is that it is possible to like it TOO much. I have to admit that it can be very time consuming. If anybody dislikes Pinterest, I would love to hear from you and also know the reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment